Updated: Feb 20, 2021
Marie-Christine and The Mindful Life Practice are joining forces to bring you a Virtual Ecstatic Dance on Sunday February 28th, 10:00AM EST, 3:00PM GMT, 7:00PM Dubai.
What is Ecstatic Dance?
It is a personal and communal practice in which you get to move your body uninhibitedly and express yourself freely within a safe and inclusive community. It is an embodied practice that fosters connection to your intuition, your body's wisdom, and to a community of like-minded, free flowing people. There are no instructions in conscious dance, no right or wrong way to experience it; the musical journey will take you through all the motions and emotions. Come as you are, with an open heart and an open mind, and be prepared to move with all that arises!
What to expect?
This will be a light and celebratory virtual ecstatic dance and community gathering. Marie will lead you through an opening circle and meditation to help you connect with your body and one another. The 60 min playlist will be high energy and contain meditative, drum/world, dance/trance, and classic dance tracks. The closing circle will help you assimilate all the benefits and breakthroughs experienced in your dance. Marie can't wait to move & groove with you all!
On the day:
10:00AM: Introduction, opening circle and meditation
10:30AM: 60 minute Ecstatic Dance Playlist
11:30PM: closing circle + optional mix & mingle
12:00PM: Flow freely into the rest of your day (or night!)
How to prepare + Community agreements
Set up your home dance space however you like to find the most comfort: set up a yoga mat, chair or sofa, lighting, blocks or props, blankets, water, etc.
There are a few options to experience this virtual dance:
1. Turn on your camera & listen to the music on your computer;
2. Turn on your camera & listen to the music on Bluetooth speakers or earbuds.
The playlist will be playing through the zoom meeting.
We ask that you leave the camera of your device on at all times for everyone’s safety, so you can engage and connect with others dancers if you want, and to avoid having participants staring at other dancers.
To create an experience in which we can move freely in a safe and supportive way, I invite you to follow a few community agreements:
• Ecstatic Dance is a freeform dance: feel free to dance any way you please. This is a transformational space for connection and movement;
• Ecstatic Dance is free of conscious speech: you are encouraged to step away from your device and experience the music with your body. You are also encouraged to emote using your voice while being mindful of housemates or neighbours;
• To ensure the sacredness of the festival experience, you must not be under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other mind-altering substances. We invite you to each your own natural state of wellbeing;
• To foster intuition and the non-performative nature of Ecstatic Dance, and to respect others' privacy, this event will not be recorded. We encourage you to turn on the “do not disturb” function on your devices if possible. If you are uncomfortable with someone's behaviour, please notify the organizers in the chat;
• Ensure you respect the space and others - do not move in a way that could harm yourself or others. Keep your eyes open as you move about your home’s dance floor;
• This experience is meant to be inclusive: you can dance barefoot or wearing shoes. You can experience Ecstatic Dance lying down, leaning against a wall, or seated in a chair; and
• If you must leave the event before it has ended, please notify the organizer in the chat so we can ensure it is safe for you to leave.
For more on the origin of Ecstatic Dance and its community agreements, visit: https://ecstaticdance.org/ .
Marie lives in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. She is a Movement & Meditation Teacher and Ecstatic Dance Facilitator. She is also studying to become a Certified Forest Therapy Guide with the Association of Nature and Forest Therapy.
Marie discovered the healing and transformative practice of Ecstatic Dance in 2018 and has been an avid mover and shaker ever since. She enjoys offering this special practice to her local community in the great outdoors – and now virtually to the MLPC!
Keep an eye on the schedule. Booking start 7 days before the session. This event will be 10$ for members/20$ for non-members.
Follow Marie on IG @mc.yogini